Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

My upper leg and butt muscles get stiff after sleeping or sitting

My upper leg and butt muscles get stiff after sleeping or sitting for even small lengths of time. There's no aching or joint pain just soarness and stiffness and only in the upper legs. I do kayaking and am 55 years old. I'm also 25 pounds over weight. The soarness has been going on for 2 months. It takes effort to walk properly every morning. It's gets better as the day goes on but it never goes away. Inactivity brings it back.

These are typical symptoms of hip osteoarthritis. Following measures would be helpful;

1) Hip care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your hip, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your hip. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises, pool exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years and a trial of diacerin for three months.

6) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

7) ) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This only started after I worked out on a treadmill with it going up and down. I was new to the treadmill and over did it. It's the same soarness that comes from over working out. only it's not going away.

An osteoarthritis precipitates with the over work/over exertion and is quite common medical history. A x-ray and MRI of the hip is needed for the confirmation. Since it gives symptoms after the rest; other possibilities like tendinitis, bursitis etc are not very likely.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun