Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor

burning sensation in my left upper back,shoulder blade area

burning sensation in my left upper back,shoulder blade area and back of arm above elbow,tricep area.Why is that
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for your sufferings.

I need to know some points regarding your query so that I can answer better.

How long are you having this?

How frequently do you get it?

When do you feel more pain?

Any relation with movement or any thing?

Did you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
off and on for a few months. I get the burning sensations often. I have no illness that I am aware of. Movement doesnt make a difference
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
mainly in my left upper back and sometimes goes to back of my arm
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

I will put my opinion regarding the issue.

The pain and burning sensation in the left upper back, shoulder blade and back of arm, triceps area can be due to nerve irritation or entrapment of nerve in the spine.

Diabetes, thyroid disease, neuropathy can have a burning sensation.

When your pain is coming from behind intermittently, it may not from heart disease.

But still heart disease is of serious concern it should have an EKG to exclude any heart factor.

As it is going on for a long time, you should consult doctor for examination and investigations to find out the cause and start of treatment if it is necessary.

I hope this information helps.

Happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I had an ekg and stress test back in feb and all was good. i had a blood test done maybe 5-6mos ago and sugar was 100-110.Cholesterol has crept up to 200 ldl130,tri170 hdl39 my diet continues to be poor and i have been inactive for 2+yrs. It does come and go the burning though. Its that I am getting older and wierd physical pains start surfacing up. I just want a piece of mind. If you have anymore input I would appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
As heart is ok, no diabetes, though little high lipid level, then nerve impingement may be a factor.

You can have an MRI cervical spine and consult a neurologist or a spine surgeon to check the nerve issue.

Nerve irritation can be from electrolyte, calcium, vitamin deficiency, dehydration.

You can take vitamin and mineral, calcium supplement, plenty of liquid, fruits, vegetables to check whether it helps.

Best wishes.