Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

10 month old baby boy throwing up frequently with no fever.

10 month old baby boy throwing up frequently with no fever. Could it be food poisoning? Do I take him into emergency?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your boy's symptoms, and I hope to help. The major risk in these cases is dehydration, or a loss of too many bodily fluids. Being under 1 year of age, it would likely be a good idea to visit the ER if he is not able to keep much down, and he's vomiting frequently. His symptoms are more likely due to a viral gastroenteritis, or infection of his stomach/small intestine, that is accounting for his frequent vomiting. Often these cases do not have a fever. I do not think this is food poisoning, but even if it was, the treatment would be the same: administration of fluids and an evaluation for dehydration at the ER. I would therefore consider visiting the ER to ensure that he is adequately hydrated and doing well. I hope this information is helpful for you and your boy, and I wish you both well. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The reason I thought it might be food poisioning is that about 1 hour before he started throwing up I fed him a jar of baby food (carrots). While feeding him i kept noticing a strange smell, finally got a whiff of the carrots and it had a very weird smell. He ate about 3/4 of the jar. I gave him a bath and he started throwing up fiercly. He has not acted like he is in pain. Still trying to throw up some. I really do not think it is a virus that hit him...he has been fine today until eating his dinner.
Thanks for the additional information. Considering that history, it's possible that the carrots are playing a role. That being said, both viruses and food poisoning episodes typically last 24-48 hours, and the key issue of dehydration remains. If he's vomiting to the point that he can't eat or drink, and you're concerned about dehydration, I would recommend that he be seen in the ER for an evaluation and possible treatment. I wish you both well. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX