Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

what is the best medication for jaw pain

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer...

Vicodin contains Acetaminophen + Hydrocodone (narcotic analgesic)

Darvoset contains Acetaminophen + Propoxyphene (narcotic analgesic)

Zanaflex contains Tizanidine (muscle relaxant)

Soma contains Carisoprodol (muscle relaxant)

The best analgesic (pain killer) depends upon the medical condition you have....And which pain killer is going to help you most depends upon clinical evaluation and underlying diagnosis...

In case you have inflammatory joint condition of Jaw, then the drugs that are going to help you most are Anti-inflammatory pain killers like Brufen or Aleve...

I hope this answers your question...

Kindest Regards...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry that I didn't list over-the-counter meds. I have tried regular tylenol, ibuprofen, aleve, etc. I have been to my dentist (made a new splint), I have had an apico procedure (thinking it was related to a problem tooth), I have had several treatments with a physical therapist and dry needling procedures. I have most recently visited my doctor (who prescribed the soma) but I am not finding relief. I feel like everyone wants to wait and see, but I am in constant pain and am tired of waiting (this has been going on since January 2010). Any other thoughts on medications or suggested treatments/tests?

I would like any other expert to answer you, therefore i am opting out...

Regards...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Expert opted out of question..
Expert opted out of question.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.
where exactly is this pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It can migrate but it always initiates in the jaw joint (both sides). My primary doctor doesn't think it is TMJ but may be muscle. The pain can radiate along the top or bottom gums as well as cause headaches (from upper neck to temple area). I am avoiding "chewy" foods, no gum, trying to keep jaw relaxed, etc. I am in contact with both my dentist and doctor but the options they are presenting don't seem to be working. I am looking for more information or ideas to present to them. I am probably pain free for about the first 30 minutes of the day. After that, the pain is constant throughout the day.
Have you considered a seeing a neurologist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is an option my primary doctor suggested (as well as an ENT specialist). I'm just trying to explore all options.
Well, the reason why I am asking you, is because you need to be considered for trigeminal neuralgia.

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) or tic doloureux (also known as proeopalgia) is a nerve disorder of the trigeminal nerve which results in episodes of intense pain in the eyes, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, and jaw. TN is usually seen in middle age, specifically after 50, but can be seen in any age. More women are affected than men. It is often underdiagnosed as many physicians are not familiar iwth this disorder
The condition can bring about stabbing, mind-numbing, electric shock-like pain from just a finger's glance of the cheek.
TN, is hard to treat, but you do have several treatment options. You may require a combination of anti-seizure medications, anti-depressants, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, steroids, nerve blocks, botox and/or opiates. Chronic pain is notoriously hard to deal with and it may require some trial and error before an optimal plan is in place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

Usually this is on one side of the face, but can occur on both. You need to see a neurologist for this diagnosis.

warm regards
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing