DOCDEV
DOCDEV, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCCS, Post Doctoral Fellowship in Cardiac Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine.
14105073

One of the comments on my echocardiography was that the intra-atrial

One of the comments on my echocardiography was that the intra-atrial septum is mobile and appears mildly aneurysmal. (possible aneurysmal interatrial septum.) What exactly does this mean? Confused by the woerk aneurysmal!!!!

Hello.

Was there any color flow across the Inter atrial septum ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not know and the report does not indicate it. My ejection fraction is 60%. It says also, Normal left ventricular chamber size, wall thickness and overall contractililty with 60% ejection fraction. Mild apical Hypokinesis .

Hello.

An atrial septal aneurysm (ASA) is a well-recognized abnormality of uncertain clinical relevance.

Most subjects with this issue are without symptoms. However, its possible that this disorder may contribute to heart arrhythmias and blood clot formations.

If the aneurysm ruptures , there will be mixing of blood between the left and right atrium. in that case, the defect has to be closed surgically or by using a device in the cathlab.

As of now , nothing needs to be done. However , periodic echocardiography examination needs to be done ( once every 6 months ) to detect any complications.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yOUR TALKING ANEURYSM, I ALWAYS THOUGHT A ANEURYSM IS A BUBBLE OR BULGE IN THE WALL OF A MAJOR VALVE(EXAMPLE ABDOMINAL, AORTIC ) AND IF IT BURSTS YOU BLEED PROFUSELY. WHAT DOES IT MEAN AS MILDLY ANEURYSMAL? iS THIS A ANEURYSM AS WE ALL KNOW? iTS SAYING i HAVE A MOBILE POSSIBLE ANEURYSMAL INTERATRIAL SEPTUM. SORRY I AM VERY CONFUSED. WHEN MY DR. GAVE ME THE REPORT ON THE ECHO, HE DID NOT EVEN MENTION THIS. I ASKED FOR THE REPORT TO BE FAXED TO ME , SO I HAVE IT TO TAKE TO A CARDIOLOGIST. I GUESS I AM ASKING IS THIS A ACTUAL ANEURYSM OR IS IT REFERRED TO AS ANEURYSMAL MEANING SWOLLEN OR LARGE. I AM QUITE CONCERNED NOW.

Aneurysm actually refers to ballooning / dilatation due to weakness in the wall of a vascular structure.

Aneurysm of the Inter atrial septum (IAS ) would result from pressure differences across the septum, due to valvular abnormalities( Like Mitral regurgitation , MVP ).

In the absence of these accompanying disorders, IAS aneurysm could be due to a primary weakness in the septum.;

This aneurysm is not like a vascular aneurysm , which will bleed profusely , if it bursts.

if IAS aneurysm gives away, then it would cause mixing of blood between left and right atria, ( Shunting ). This would not be life threatening, however, would need to be repaired in the cathlab.

Apart from this, you should monitor this lesion by periodic echocardiography to rule out further changes.

Hope you understand now ?

Please click ACCEPT so I may receive credit for my time. Feel free to continue asking questions, I am here to help.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, IT DOES SAY MILDLY SCLEROTIC AORTIC AND MITRAL LEAFLETS WITH NO EVIDENCE OF STENOSIS AND NO MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE. I AM NOT SURE IF THIS HAS A BEARING ON THIS OR NOT, SO FORGIVE ME IF IT SEEMS UNIMPORTANT. IS IS RECOMMENDED I GET A STRESS TEST? WOULD YOUR OPINION BE THAT THIS IS NOT A GOOD ECHO? I KNOW 60% EJECTION FRACTION IS OK.

Hy.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away.

Since there is no evidence of stenosis or prolapse of the mitral valve, there is no relationship of this to the aneurysmal IAS.

I think this is a primary defect in the IAS . There should not be much reason to worry, other than routine follow ups.

There is no reason to suspect a bad Echo report also.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank-you for your help, I do appreciate it, I went into the echo feeling ok, then after reading the results(most of which I do not understand) I all of a sudden felt lousy.

I do accept your answer and appreciate your time. One more question. Is a stress test indicated?

You have a good ejection fraction.

That means , your heart is pumping blood as it normally should.

However, if you are having any symptoms of palpitations, breathlessness or chest pain , then a CT angiogram and stress test would be needed.