Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Both of my hands have had pink knuckles that crack open and

Customer Question

Both of my hands have had pink knuckles that crack open and then heal continuously for about a year now. The backs of my hands and fingers also itch frequently. I haven't exposed my hands to any chemicals that I'm aware of and all of the rest of my skin appears in good shape. The strange thing is that this is limited to the knuckles where my fingers begin and the middle knuckles on my fingers and not the knuckles near the nails. I could e-mail a photo tomorrow if necessary. Thanks, Randy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

The frequent washing will not benefit this condition. Normal amount of hand washing is OK. Too much may remove protective oils of the skin. I would recommend that you might try Vaseline at night. Continue the hand moisturizer. Consider seeing a dermatologist. I would be in favor of you being tested to rule out scleroderma which is an autoimmune disease that causes hardening type changes of the skin and a host of other problems down the road. A picture might help but may not be enough to make a diagnosis.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. I will be happy to get back with you if you have others. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX only adds potential complexity to my unsolved problem. I still don't know why my knuckles are cracked and unhealed. I guess I'll just have to wait until I have enough money to see a doctor. I would be willing to send a good photo if you think you could better understand the problem,
Sincerely, [email protected]

Hello again!

You are welcome to send a photo.I can take a look.

For the time being try the Vaseline at bedtime and try to get in to see a dermatologist as soon as you can.

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD