Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

My neck has been hurting like when You sleep on it wrong. But

My neck has been hurting like when You sleep on it wrong. But this has been going on for a month now and when I wake up in the morning I feel like I am a hundred years old. During the day it comes and goes (kind of) Maybe when I am busy I just don't notice it that much.But at night it is really bad. Could this be something other than just sleeping on it wrong? I can't even hardly turn my head. It is on the right side that hurts. I am 49 and OK health.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

Sorry for the illness.
I shall try my best to explain the condition. The pain in neck on waking is often due to sleeping posture. This can be due to inadequate support of the head causing strain on the muscles. But this should not continue for month. The other cause can be due to any spine problem of the neck causing spasm of neck muscles. When it is there for a month ,I would recommend that you have an examination by doctor. Muscle relaxants may be needed . But imaging studies like X ray or MRI should be taken to have a precise diagnosis.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So I take it that I can possibly be sleeping on it wrong for a whole month so it could be due to a spinal problem? What could I of done to it without knowing that I would be in this much pain for so long? And what can I do to relieve this pain? Heat or Ice? The pain does go down my shoulder about 1/4the way down my back. . I don't have any insurance so the big tests I won't be able to pay for. Any other suggestions would be very helpful I am just in so much pain. Today is the worst day yet. I have a memory foam bed and pillows would that have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 7 years ago.
At this stage ice will usually not be helpful. You can try heat.The spread of pain to shoulder or back can suggest the distribution of nerve. The pillow should not be very high, this can cause strain on the neck. For pain otc pain relievers are those that you are using like, motrin, advil, tylenol etc.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.

Edited by Dr SS on 6/1/2010 at 7:00 AM EST