Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

Hi, I am a woman and have used Vitadil 2a for 4 months with

I am a woman and have used Vitadil 2a for 4 months with some success however, the Vitadil 2a is no longer being produced. Can I use Vitadil 5a even though it is for men? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
The only difference between the 2 products is that Vitadil had 2% minoxidil, and Vitadil 5 has 5% minoxidil - so if you use the Vitadil 5a - just use LESS of it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Dr. Wilson,
Yes, I know that the Vitadil is minoxidil. The package uses the disclaimer to not be used by women. I understand that there may be side effects to women for the vitadil 5a or that the product is not FDA approved for use by women. Are the side effects dangerous? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
The reason why is because vitadil has 5% (TWO AND A HALF TIMES the amount that is prescribed for women) - but you and do the simple math and see that what YOU were using was 2% and them mens version is 5%.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Wilson,
I take your answer to mean the following:
1) There are no dangerous side effects to women using Vitadil 5a if the dosage is cut in half
2) You do not have an answer as to why the FDA has not approved Vitadil 5a for use by women in the current dosage.
Am I correct? If I am correct then I will purchase the product Vitadil 5a against the objections of the company Scalp Med.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
If you cut the dosage to a little more than half - it should be the same product - the answer is because they do not want you using the same dosage as men do.