IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician

Question on Lupus Anticoagulant Comp. A blood test returned

Question on "Lupus Anticoagulant Comp. A blood test returned with Dilute Prothrombin Time (DPT) 59.4 DPT Ratio 1.26.
Thrombin Time 18.9
PTT-LA 43.3
DRVVT H 45.1
DRVVT Mix 38.8

Can you tell me your interpretation of the above results.
Thank You

do you have the normal ranges for the above tests? every lab has a different range.

dr. sciberras

your thrombin time is high-normal (most cut-offs are 18.5), if the thrombin time is normal it points towards lupus anticoagulant. however, if the thrombin time was high, it wouldnt be to lupus anticoagulant. your DVVT is elevated, and that could indicate lupus anticoagulant, however, it is not a very specific test and could also indicate other things (or nothing at all). if your physician is concerned that you may have lupus anticoagulant, i would suggest getting a "hexagonal phase phospholipid test". that test is much more sensitive and specific than the DVVT. did you also have the cardiolipin antibody test?

dr. sciberras

If you like my answers, please press the green ACCEPT button. Thank you for trusting in me!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ref Range/ Male
DPT H 0.0 - 56.6 Result 59.4

DPT Confirm Ratio 0.0 - 1.20 Result 1.26

Thrombin Time 0.0 - 20.0 Sec Result 18.9

PTT-LA 0.0 - 50.0 Sec Result 43.3

DRVVT H 0.0 - 44.5 Sec Result 45.1

DRVVT MIX 0.0 - 46 Sec Result 38.8

No cardiolipin antibody test was requested

first, is your doctor suspecting lupus anticoagulant in you, and why are you taking coumadin?

aPTT is prolonged in patients with lupus anticoagulant. your PTT is within normal range. the DRVVT and DPT are only slightly elevated, and hence, not specific enough to prove whether or not you have lupus anticoagulant, hence, again, if the doc is suspecting lupus anticoagulant, i would suggest getting a cardiolipin antibody, aPTT, and the hexagonal phase phospholipid test.

i know my answer probably does not shed a lot of light, but unfortunately, the tests your doctor ran are not impressive none conclusive one way or the other. i hope i did help some, however. best of luck!

p.s. i'm heading to bed now, so if you have any further questions, i will be happy to answer them tomorrow!

Dr Sciberras

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They think I had blood clotts in lungs in March, also tested for pos for Factor V Leiden Heterozygous. Put on coumadin, then sent to cardiologist and hemotoligist. Hemotoligist thinks Lupus Ant Comp due to blood test as shown, wants to retest same in 3 months. No info on net supports this test.
You are correct, the tests you had done do not fully support lupus anticoagulant, especially since the hematologist did not run all the tests I mentioned. Perhaps you should get a second opinion from another hematologist. However, if you have factor V Leiden, then there's your answer as to why you had the clots.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

You have been very helpful

best of luck!