Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.

I have been taking Lugols Solution 1 drop twice a week for

I have been taking Lugol's Solution 1 drop twice a week for 3-4 weeks in an attempt to get some energy. I am feeling tired most of the time but now I have more energy than previously, I took thyroid for a long time and it was discontinued several years ago.
Is it in any way harmful to take the Lugol's Solution?

Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Lugol's solution is potassium iodide meant for enhancing the iodine content of the blood for a stable thyroid action because thyroid gland needs iodine for the formation of thyroid hormones .It is anti hyperthyroid medicine used for reduction of the size of the thyroid in endemic goiter.It reduces vascularity of the gland , enhance the bound iodine and causes reacumulation of colloid.YOU must do a blood work to assess the level of iodine in your body because access of lugol's solution can cause several side effects like

Allergic reactions, specifically angioedema (swelling of the arms, face, legs, lips, tongue, and/or throat) arthralgia (joint pain), eosinophilia swelling of lymph nodes
urticaria (hives) etc. iodism , diarrhea, vomiting , burning of mouth and mouth ulcers and there is a long list.

Hope i have answered your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I am due to have my yearly physical which includes blood work next month.
I had a cyst on my thyroid years ago which is when I started the thyroid medication that I no longer take.
Endemic goiter normally occurs in the teenager girls and gets relieved by Lugol's solution.The cyst or thyroid nodule in your case might be due to autoimmune disease , colloid goiter or hyperthyroidism due to any other cause.If you are going to have blood work next month please explore your thyroid thoroughly and don't use Lugol's iodine till that time.Because might be you would need thyroxine or antithyroid drugs etc.God bless.