Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

What does pain in left arm mean?

I am having an dull achy feeling in my left arm. I went to the ER a few nights ago and they told me that my EKG was unchanged, and my heart enzymes were great. I am worried because I keep having these pains and sometimes they lead up to my neck. I spoke with a doctor last night on here that said it could be atherosclerosis changes. I am almost 30 with high cholesterol at 233 taking fish oil, and I have severe panic attacks, so this is making it worse once I looked it up. I smoke about a pack a day, and have a family history of heart disease. My father had his first stent put at 55 and is now having multiple strokes. At 63 his father died at 47 from masive heart attack. I did have a heart catheter 7 months ago becuase I wanted reassurance cause of my panic attacks, but now I am up all night worrying about this atherosclerosis changes. Should I be worried? PLEASE HELP

Greetings.

No. You should not be worried. Heart enzymes are very good to rule out any heart association of the pain. Atherosclerosis and coronary artery disease (heart disease) are same thing and if EKG and heart enzymes are normal, atherosclerosis is automatically ruled out. I agree that you have certain risk factors, but at this point of time, there is nothing worrisome. Your symptoms are more likely due to pinched nerves in the neck. A neck MRI would give you the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My cardiologist put it as I have "brand new" arteries when I had the catheter 7 months ago. I am now just really panicky about the dull achy pain in my arm. I feel it in different spots like my upper arm, lower arm, under wrist and sometimes in my shoulder. And I feel like sometimes it is worse. Should I not be worried? Guess I just have a heavy achy pain in my arm. I'm so scared at this point. I know that I need to stop smoking and I am trying. I take a b-complex vitamin and fish oil along with my Zoloft for panic attacks. I was having really bad acid reflux a few days ago. Should I be this worried? Is there any indication that it could be cardiovascular?

With the cardiac catheter done just seven months ago, and being normal, there is no reason to be worried at all and this is unlikely due to cardiovascular. Please do not be concerned at all as anxiety aggravates the symptoms, which are most likely muscular or pinched nerves in the neck. Just relax.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Am I typically to young to have cardiovascual problems? Even with my history?

Yes. You are too young, even with the family history.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Maybe I can sleep tonight, and you put my mind to ease.

You are very welcome.

Please relax. This is nothing serious.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun