Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

What can cause an itchy head?

I have a severe itchy scalp that worsens when I am sweating or lying in bed and the pillow is touching my scalp (lying on my back). This should silly but it is keeping me awake at night. There are no bumps and I do not see any redness. What can I do about this?

The most probable cause seem to be due to the dryness of your head. The sweating further aggravates this. Certain type of pillows(especially feather pillows) seem to be particularly a problem with this as they cause your head to be hot and make you sweat, the sweat causes your scalp to dry which makes it itchy. This is the reason which causes you more sweating & itchiness. You need to change your pillow. Another option is to cover the pillow with another pillow cover or towel this will help reduce the heat given off by the pillow and sweat less.

Also use undiluted Hair Conditioner before going to bed. Avoid hairspray if possible, as it usually has alcohol in it and this will dry the skin, plus the build-up keeps the skin from breathing. a product exclusively aimed at dry hair and scalp, such as the Selsun Blue or Head & Shoulders lines of shampoo and conditioner. Look for ingredients like zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, or coal-tar.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have tried new pillows including the tempurpedic pillow and some moisturizers. Anything else?

Another possibility is of head lice. For dry,itchy & sweaty scalp-look for shampoo/moisturizer having ingredients like zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, or coal-tar. Apply Ketoconazole shampoo or cream. You can take any of these shampoos:zinc pyrithione (Selsun Salon and Head & Shoulders), coal tar (Neutrogena T/Gel), salicylic acid (Ionil T), selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue), ketoconazole (Nizoral), Also another possibility is of ring worm infection. Three approved ringworm medications are Grifulvin V, Gris-Peg and Lamasil.

For skin(scalp) diseases exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination..So I advice you to make an appointment with your dermatologist for clinical examination to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.