Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

What is the difference between a diplomate and board certified

What is the difference between a diplomate and board certified in a medical specialty such as pain management. Which is better? Which comes first? Does that matter? Which one is better to have if you could only have one?
This depends on the speciality - but a board diplomate and board certified are the same thing - for example - me as an ob/gyn I am a Diplomate of ABOG - American Board of Ob/Gyn - to make it simple, we just say board certified since certified is the older term, and diplomate is the newer term. Also, you might see BC or BE - BC means board certified - BE - means Board Eligible and this doctor has either Failed their boards or has not taken them (most surgeons have to wait 2 to 3 years after training to take the oral boards - so it is not uncommon to see BE for a surgeon, an ob/gyn, an orthopedic surgeon, a neurosurgeon - but a family practice, internal medicine (all the NON-surgical specialities) should NOT use BE - because if they do, this automatically means they failed the boards.