Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My fasting blood sugar was 137. Is this to high

My fasting blood sugar was 137. Is this to high?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 7 years ago.
Is this the first time you've checked it? Medical conditions/medications?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had my blood sugar checked years ago with the 6 hour test but I don't remember the results. I am 5ft 6" tall and weigh 280 lbs. I have had high blood pressure since my 20's. I am on medication for anxiety/depression and high blood pressure. (2 Rx for blood pressure and a diuretic.
OK.. 70-100 is in the range of what's considered normal fasting glucose. 137 implies diabetes or pre diabetes, and you may need a glucose tolerance test along with a hemogloblin A1C to better determine whether you need to be on diabetic medication. It's possible your doctor will work on a weight loss plan, because if you can lose 20 or more pounds, the need for medication may be a moot point, since weight loss, when it's needed, can often lower blood glucose levels.