Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

What are the HIV symptoms?

Help! I'm so scared do these sound like early HIV symptoms - bunged up, sore throat, sneezing, and glands hurt. Doctor says they're not. Swelling keeps going, hot and cold, hurts to swallow, ears hurt a bit not much. These symptoms started 6 - 7 days after exposure. Please help! I have a 6 month old beautiful girl and I just can't concentrate. I'm so concerned!!

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 years ago.

Hi it seems that you have sore throat that is associated with swollen glands and earache,as ear nose and throat linked together infection in one area can involve glands,ear,or nose and sinuses some infection take 5-7 days to settle and some may take prolong time so dont worry take ho beeverages,stem inhalation,saline gargles,TAB BRUFEN 400mg three times a day for 5 days along with antihistamine tab zyrtec 10 mg twice a day and avoid cold drinks,smoking you will better.Regarding your concern about HIV if person has contact with HIV positive person then symptoms doesnot appear so early it takes almost 2-4 weeks period to appear,if your problem persists for then 2 weeks then you can think of that infection.

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, you don't think it's to do with HIV? What I'm describing, are they threatening symptoms? Also, on the internet, some sites say it takes 2 to 4 weeks for symptoms but then I saw another saying it took a week and completely freaked out. Are these early HIV symptoms I have? If this is not the case, what are the symptoms? I'm worried, I've booked to go to a private clinic for a 28 day HIV test that's going to cost me £125. I'm so scared, also my backs now aching and that's apparently another symptom. Aching muscles? Help!

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 years ago.

It has been seen that incubation period (entry of virus in to the body and apperance of sign snd symptom of disease) of HIV is between 2-4 weeks and symptoms include sore throat,mouth ulcers,phrangeal ulcers,bodyaches pain,generalised weakness along with anorexia these are the early symptoms which at least takes 2 weeks to appear so if your symptoms persisit for more then 2 weeks then you should be concerned.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

I can understand that this can be extremely stressful and anxiety provoking.

Have you had a fever?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My symptoms started to occur 6 - 7 days after exposure and seem to be getting worse. My nose is blocked, and I talk like I've got a cold. Sneezing and glands hurt. Doctor says she can't feel that they are swollen it hurts when I chew by my ear it kept going hot and cold. I dont have a cough. The doctor said my throat ears and chest are clear and I didn't have a temperature, but my whole neck aches!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

This does not sound like HIV.
It sounds like you likely have a common cold/upper respiratory infection.

Here are the reasons why this does not sound like HIV:

1. HIV does not manifest (or show) symptoms for about 2 weeks after exposure. It can take longer to show symptoms but it is extremely unlikely that it would show symptoms at 6 days after exposure.

2. Fever is almost always present.

3. Swollen glands are a common symptom

I hope that this helps to calm your fears some....

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby
Thank you!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you I have booked an appointment for a 28 day HIV test it's going to cost me £125 do you think I need it? Also, if my glands were swollen could I tell myself? They are painful and also sorry to go on would you normally get the HIV rash with the symptoms? Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Did you have exposure to someone you know has HIV?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, its an ex partner. I went behind my fiance's back, he knows because I told him. I just want to get this sorted out, as I don't want to lose my fiance. But, if Ive got HIV, he will be long gone, and we have a baby too. My ex used to sleep around, and I know he doesn't always practice safe sex. We did however use a condom; but, I think it could of split or had a hole. The reason being is when I woke up the next morning the sheet had brownish blood on it. Plus, I get a bit wet downstairs and couldn't work out if that's where he had ejaculated. Also, about an hour later, after I went to the toilet, a blob came out of me. I don't know if it was from me or his semen. He swears the condom didn't split, but why would I have this blob and discharge stuff the next day?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

The brownish blood may have been due to spotting from the cervix (bleeding) or vaginal tearing. It doesn't mean that the condom broke.
If you had any bleeding after sex, it is a good idea to have a pap smear, especially if you continue to notice it happening with your fiance.

It does not sound like you had a high risk of exposure to HIV from this past encounter. For peace of mind, you may want to get the test. I do not think you need to have it done based on the cold symptoms you are having right now.

When I say fever, it is the same thing as having a temperature (of 38-40 degrees C usually). Rash typically will appear about 2 days after the fever and most commonly occurs on the upper body and face.

Swollen glands feel like peas or marbles in the neck. Most people can feel them if they are enlarged.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, thank you. Just one other thing, if it was HIV symptoms and you took cold remedies would it make them go away like the common cold? The doctor earlier on here said that if I still have symptoms in 2 weeks then worry is that how long they typically last as? I haven't taken anything for this yet.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

I feel a bit differently than what the previous expert stated.

With regards to symptoms lasting more than two weeks, it does not mean you have HIV. It can indicate that you may need more than over the counter treatment, though, and at that point I would see your doctor for a recheck. I consider antibiotics if cold symptoms, congestion, etc. persist longer than 14 days.

You can use over the counter medications for your symptoms now. It should help with symptom relief regardless of the underlying cause.

A typical viral upper respiratory infection (cold) will last about 5-10 days.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Help, I am now even more worried. I have noticed my glands up on one side of my groin kinda just under my hip. Doesn't hurt. Does a bit now as I keep picking it! How do I know it's a gland? Lymph node it's under my hip?! Help!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Here is a link to a picture (it is a male but men and women have same location) of where lymph nodes are located in the groin area.

http://www.pennmedicine.org/encyclopedia/ency_images/encymulti/print/9000.jpg

They can feel like peas.
It is not uncommon to feel small lymph nodes. They can be enlarged due to cuts on the legs, ingrown hairs, vaginal infections.

HIV causes a generalized enlargement of lymph nodes, not just one area.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, there would be swelling both sides and other places to?! It just looks a bit puffy one side under my hip is that still classed as your groin?! If it was HIV how long would they stay swollen for? And would they be painful?! I probably wouldn't of notice it if it didn't look in that area would it be very obvious if it was HIV? Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
The swollen glands associated with HIV are typically not painful.
They can stay swollen for years.
The location of the lymph nodes are in the picture, they are not on the hip itself.

As I mentioned previously, if you have any concern regarding the possibility that you have HIV, I would do the test as scheduled. That way you can put your fears completely to rest.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I will definitely go and get tested. What do you mean by they are in the picture?!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
The link I sent you describes the location of the lymph nodes in the groin :)

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There isn't a link. If you have the web page I can view myself. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

This is the same link as I posted above.
Let me know if there is a problem,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yea that's where mine is slightly raised one side it goes away when I lie down thou ? Would that be right?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You should be able to feel the lymph node whether you are standing or laying down.

It is not an issue of appearance, it is an issue of what is felt by touch.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm going out my mind. I noticed yesterday my inner right thigh is slightly swollen could this be glands? Lymph nodes? All in connection with initial HIV infection? My groin kinda aches but not swollen my inner thigh. I do have stretch marks there where I had my little girl could that have something to do with it? My knees ache too? I can't get an appointment to see my doctor for ages!! Help

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I did provide you a picture (blue link) above where the glands are located in the upper leg.
If you can feel a lump in that area, then it is a lymph node.

If you do not have any lumps that you can feel in that area then I would not consider this HIV related at all.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It feels like a grissel when I press down on it? I got the picture it's not situated there it's in my inner thigh but when looking on Internet you do have lymph nodes there not glands?!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
No, there are not glands or lymph nodes on the inner thighs. You are feeling the tissue and fat.

Dr abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, thank you. Just one other question; do you get initial HIV symptoms one after the other or all at once? Like could you have the flu like symptoms then they go away, then a couple of days later you get swelling and so on?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
The flu like symptoms occur at the same time. Swollen glands can occur at any time during the initial infection and can persists for years.

I have a feeling that you are going to continue to worry until you have the test. I think you should go through with having it done so that you can be reassured you are ok.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think you are very right I hate worrying so much I wish I never put myself in this position in the first place! And before you said alot of glands would be swollen at once sp it wouldn't just be one side of neck? It would be both sides?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Typically, yes, it will be a generalized swelling of lymph nodes in more than one area of the body (ie groin, underarms, neck)

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

And if you had swelling in neck it would be both sides?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that is usually the case. And they are located in areas other than the neck as well.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a question about the initial HIV rash that is it under the skin?! Just I've got a rash on one side of my back but I have been in the sun?! And it's under my skin?! Also, my ears are now popping. Still got blocked/ runny nose cause that be hay fever?! I've never had hay fever before and when I close my eyes they sting but my partner thinks that's because I'm tired?! Thank u