Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

What are the big bones in each butt cheek that hurt so bad

Customer Question

What are the big bones in each butt cheek that hurt so bad if i sit to long or when i walk, they are dead center in the butt. please tell me what the are and what do they connect to I can feel them with my hand as i have somewhat a thin butt
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

This is tail bone which is hurting you. It is called as coccycodynia. Warm sitz bath will help you three times a day. Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin / Advil / Aleve are also beneficial with the narcotic analgesics. One has to sit on sorbo rubber ring for a while, so pressure on the tail bone does not occur while sitting.The comprehensive treatment entails:

1) kegel exercise

2) steroid injections,

3) Botulinum toxin injections

4) sitting only on sorbo rubber ring (available over the counter at pharmacy)

5) deep therapy modalities like electrical stimulation, interferential, short wave diathermy or ultrasound. Read about coccycodynia;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 5/19/2010 at 3:51 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO it is not the coxys I know that is at the end of my tail bone Read the Question I did not say it was in the middle of my body i said ti was directly in the middle of each butt cheek meaning there are 2 bone sand when you sit too long or walk,it hurts like the devil and itIS NOT MY TAIL BONE <DOYOU THINK I AM STUPID don't you have a butt with 2 sides called cheeks well it's those big bones that you can actually feel with your hands people complain that their butt hurts if thy have sit too long

Sorry for the confusion. I apologize for the inconvenience.

This is ischial tuberosity, which is in the middle of the each butt. The pain is due to the ichial bursa inflammation. Bursa are the structures, which helps the tendon and muscle for the smooth movements. Please read about it;

The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the muscle.

2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Dr. Arun