Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.

would a pinched nerve cause stomach problems

Customer Question

would a pinched nerve cause stomach problems?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Can you please elaborate your problem that what exactly is your problem?

Why are concerned about a pinched nerve?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
three years ago I had a sledding accident where I broke by back, it was a 15% compression fracture, about three months after the accident is when I started to get a burning feeling in my stomach like it was on fire, along with a pinching feeling right under my right rib, At first I felt is though I needed to vomit and would dry heaves. As of now I have not had the urge to vomit but i am still nauseous and get a pinching feeling under my ribs at times.
The reason why I am concerned about a pinched nerve is because before the accident I did not have any problems with my stomach. I was just wondering if the back injury would but tied in with the stomach problems

Thank you very much for your kind input.

The answer to your question is YES .Actually the nerve connections controlling the the function of the muscles of LES ( Lower esophageal sphincter ) come partly from T1-T4 and partly from the upper thoracic spine.So once there is trauma ,or the nerve in that region is pinched or severed , the control of the LES is gone , hence no contraction of LES and the gastric contents go up i the esophagus causing GERD like symptoms.The same lower connections are concerned with pain back accompanied by pain in the stomach, so anybody having pain in the back also complains of pain back.You need to consult a group of orthopedist , neurophysician and an internist to improve your symptoms .But until than you can take Nexium 40 mg , Motilium 10 mg 3 times a day , Tab Neurotin 100 mg once a day, to relive your symptoms to some extent.You also need to do an MRI of your neck and middle spine to exactly locate your problem.

Best of luck.

Hope i have answered your question.Laughing

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, thank you have, i do have one more question for you:) Back in October i developed a cough that has lasted for 6 months, In april I found out what was causing the cough to be asthma. Could this possibly be also tied in with my back and stomach problems?
Sure ! I am open for any questions , my pleasure.Again YES , Asthma is very well connected with stomach problem and in fact it is leading cause of GERD.Essentially again the nerves are involved , and the nerve connections are shared by both stomach and lungs.Once there is GERD due to pinching of a nerve , there is exacerbation of GERD caused by asthma , if at all it is present.