Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

I have a swollen right foot, right foot only, over top and

I have a swollen right foot, right foot only, over top and around right side of ankle, it is not: bone issues, hairline fracture, tendons, ligaments, soft tissue, had x-rays, CT scan, MRI. Foot has been swollen for over 5 weeks. There was no injury, I only remember wearing a shoe too tight across top, over arch, and over area above toes for 1 1/2 hours. Swelling is just under the skin and is not fluid. Help. Bonnie Bowman

Is there any pain over the swelling? Can you move your ankle freely without pain?

When you press on the swelling, do you leave a pit or mark on the swelling?

Has the swelling increased within the last 5 weeks? Or decreased?

Does the swelling decrease when you keep your foot raised ?

Do you have any heart or kidney problems, or a high blood pressure?

What medicines, if any, are you on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Had very severe pain over swelling initially, pain has decreased over time and now pain gone, not swelling, can move all parts of foot and ankle freely except point toe freely due to swelling. Also I do have a bunion on right foot, but not cause of this per doctor. Have slight arthritis in two places, bunion toe and over top of foot, very minor, not problem per doctors.
No pit or mark upon pressing on swelling.
Swelling has decreased slightly over 5 weeks.
Swelling decreases slightly upon elevating feet.
Low blood pressure, no heart problems, currently have minor urinary track infection.
Medications: 2 hormones, been on for 15+ years, omeprazole for heartburn for 5 years, recently methocarbamol, muscle relaxer, take as needed (I have restless leg syndrome, not bad, occasionally), very recently ciproflaxacin for minor urinary track infection, and vicodin if have pain.
Have practiced yoga off/on since 2003, karate (2x week) and aikido (2x week) since January this year, no injuries, no exercise for last 5 weeks, have very healthy diet, not overweight, low blood pressure, cholesterol, am a very light smoker, light wine drinker.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
More input:
Dr. Mazumder,
No kidney problems.
I have very high arches.
Feet get cold frequently.
Feet and toes cramp frequently.
No artery blood clots.

I don't know about vein clots. I tend to be cold, like heat, don't think I have circulation issues but that has not been addressed.
Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I have seen primary doctor/podiatrist/orthodontics/back to podiatrist, MRI, CT scan.

Lets take this one by one:

- If the swelling started with pain which has decreased over time, then it was due to an injury, probably to the soft tissues since it started with wearing a tight shoe.

- If the swelling decreases, even slightly, when the foot is elevated, then at least part of the swelling is due to fluid. Only fluid will flow back to decrease the swelling.

- Feet getting cold frequently and frequent cramps indicates a problem with the blood circulation.

What is possible in your case, is that the soft tissue got inflamed with collection of fluid. What you had was probaby cellulitis - a diffuse inflammation of the soft tissues. This is more serious than a simple infection.

Cellulitis can cause damage to the lymphatic circulation of the affected area and cause chronic swelling .

A repeat MRI will help to check if you do have a diffuse swelling of teh soft tissue. the standard treatment is with compression bandaging.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.