Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

i have leg pain and my foot feels like pins and needles is

Customer Question

i have leg pain and my foot feels like pins and needles is this a blood clot this has been going on for a bout a month at first it started in my hamstring i thought i pulled a muscle but now it traveled to my calf and when i walk it hurts but the pain comes and goes, and the tingling is there in my foot..is this a blood clot?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the leg pain with pins and needle sensation of peripheral neuropathy due to poor circulation. If this has been occurring on and off for sometime, then other causes such as Vitamin B12 or B6 deficiencies should be considered. This is unlikely a clot problem, but it should be excluded. If there is swelling and calf area pain, then the possibility of clot is higher and should be urgently addressed as soon as possible in the ER. I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for a closer evaluation complete examination and with ankle-brachial index and doppler ultrasoiund testing of the leg. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter aspirin 81 mg daily, and maintain adequate intake of B-complex vitamin.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its only been happening for about a month, very recent. i take a good multivitamin everyday that has b complex in it..i do have varicose veins and poor circulation but why the sudden leg pain and why in only one leg? its not swollen or bruised just painful.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much:

It is not uncommon to have symptoms of varicose vein and poor circulation start manifesting first in one leg. The is likely due to the poor circulation. Addressing the problem early would prevent the other leg from showing signs later. Evaluation and management of any contributing factors including cholesterol control if any would be beneficial. Also, regular exercise and use of supportive graded stockings to improve circulation would be beneficial. Avoid prolonged standing as much as possible.