Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

What can cause anal skin flap?

On my anus there is this small flap of skin that sticks out farther than the skin of the anus opening. What is this?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer:

This is anal skin tag which could be associated with underlying inflammation bowel condition such as Crohn's disease or Anal wart. With Crohn's disease you will have other signs and symptoms including abdominal pain, diarrhea and/or constipation, rectal pain with fissure and fistula. So, your anal skin tag is likely not harmful, but should be biopsied with removal and examination to exclude abnormal growth such as papilloma or anal wart. I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation.

It was a pleasure to assist you. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Also, forgot to mention that it appears to be clear in color, and I noticed that my anus itched a lot and that when I go to the bathroom and wipe that it almost always is a little painful and a lot of times I will see just a little bit of blood on the paper. I think the blood is from the outside cause I never see any in my stool. I'm in the military and have a feeling that if I go see my army doctor that they wouldn't really do much about it, seems like as long as I can still do my job then they don't really care what i have. Do you still think its anal skin tag, and if so should i go see my doctor soon?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply: Sorry, I was away from my desk.

Based on your new additional information it appears that you have an underlying inflammatory bowel condition causing the skin tag, and should be closely evaluated with an anoscopy and/or colonoscopy. Hemorrhoids should also be considered. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter Hemorrhoidal preparation cream or suppository and Sitz baths to resolve the itching and discomfort. If this fails to resolve the itching and pain, your doctor would prescribe Rowasa and Azulfidine after confirmation of an underlying inflammatory bowel condition. I suggest that you see your doctor for close evaluation of this problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Okay, so do you think the IBD is causing my anus to be a little sore and also causing little cracks maybe in it that bleed when I wipe? I read up a little on inflammatory bowel disease and I don't think I really have any of the symptoms. Every now and then I will have a lose bowel movement where everything is kinda broken up into smaller parts and comes out all at once real fast almost like diarrhea but without the accompanied water. Once in a while I will have minor diarrhea but it goes away quick. It does feel like I have small tears in my anus sometimes when I am using the bathroom.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much:

You likely has early symptoms - the cracks are called fissures. The irregular bowel with break up into smaller parts almost diarrhea like is suggestive of early inflammatory bowel condition such as Crohn's disease ileitis. If not Crohn's disease, you do have an underling inflammatory bowel problem that needs proper attention, including internal hemorrhoid. It is best not to let it linger. Early treatment could really prevent things from getting worse.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Okay, thanks I will have to go as soon as I get some time. The army keeps me really busy. So, you think I have internal hemorrhoids then, too?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much:

It is possible, and one of the conditions to be considered. Please, make some time and evaluate this closely. God bless.