Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar, Doctor
Experience:  Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
11855647

a fever of 101.9 in an adult worth seeking medical attention

a fever of 101.9 in an adult worth seeking medical attention? Have given husband 2 aspirin and 1 ibuprofen 30 minuts ago. No change yet. Fever started at 99.9 AT 9:00 AND NOW IT IS 2:00AM. He has stiff neck, sore back, sore throat, weak
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 6 years ago.
he is probably having fever from cold/ sorethroat. it is not a medical emergency. he can see his doctor in the morning. you can give him 2 tylenol 650 mg or two ibuprofen tablets in 2 hour if fever persist. also can use cold water sponges on the for head. he should rest, eat soft diet, drink plenty of warm fluids.

also check and let ,me know if he is having sensitvity to light or sound and can touch his chin to chest and side to side neck movement without much discomfort.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I asked my husband

Yes he is extremrly sensitive to light, though he isn't sensitive to sound-his ears feel "clogged"

Moving his neck side to side hurt about a 6 he said based on a 1-10

It hurt the same touching his chin to his chest hurts about an 8-pretty bad, hes real sore

The small of his back hurts as well...

Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 6 years ago.
well in that case he should seek medical attention and go to hospital now. he could be having meningitis which is infection of the lining of the head. with the above symptoms i would encourage to seek medical attention now. he will need antibiotics sooner than laters
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just took his temp orally and it is 101.2

was 101.7 35 minutes ago- is it coming down

is there still reason to go to the ER?

Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 6 years ago.
well if he has the symptoms you mentioned then yes he should go to ER. He could have meningitis which requires immediate attention.