Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Can IBS make me feel weak?

I wake up every morning with a weak, shaky feeling (asthenia). I also have loose stools/diarhea every morning for at least 4 months. I have tested negative for Diabetes, Thyroid problems, anemia, Celiac's Disease, Crohn's Disease. I have tried eating a small meal with protein before bed. It didn't help much, I still felt weak and shaky this morning. I was diagnosed with IBS. Would this cause the weak, shaky feeling? Should I take over-the-counter Kaopectate?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer:

IBS with diarrhea can cause weakness and shakiness due to altered electrolyte. Over the counter Kaopectate would be beneficial, but you could also consider over the counter Imodium AD. In addition, I suggest that your doctor check your electrolytes with Chem-8 blood work. In the meantime, I suggest that you maintain adequate intake of fluid (such as Gatorade) and multivitamins.

It was a pleasure to assist you. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Can electrolyte balance change from day-to-day? I had my electrolytes checked on 2-11-10. Results were: sodium 141, potassium 4.8, chloride 103, bicarb 31. My Hematology were WBC 8.2, Neut Absolute 6.2, Neut % 75.4, Lymph % 18.3, Mono % 4.8, Eo %.6, Bao % .9, RBC 4.42 m/cmm, Hemoglobin 13.2 gm/dL, Hematocrit 40.4 %, MCV 91.3 fl, MCH 29.8 pg, MCHC 32.6 gm/dL, RDW 12.1 %, Platelet 324 k/cmm, SED Rate 7 mm/HR. My doctor mailed me the results and just simply said everything was normal. Should I have the test repeated since it was done 3 months ago? I have a physical scheduled in 2 days. What other questions should I ask my doctor?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much:

Since the test is about 3 months old, and your have been experiencing diarrhea, I suggest that you repeat at least the electrolyte only (Chem-8). The previous test is within normal range, however, the diarrhea can significantly change the result of the electrolytes. In addition, you should ask your doctor about possible consideration of carcinoid syndrome which is associated with periodic diarrhea with flushing. This can be checked with 24-hour urine level of 5-HIAA.

Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon