Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I have been having chronic nosebleeds only on the left side of my nose for

I have been having chronic nosebleeds only on the left side of my nose for a few years. recently they are worse and the blood often goes back into my throat. I also get a searing headache at my left eye area. for several days now after a nosebleed i have been getting a bloated swollen feeling in my stomach/liver area. it feels like i have a ton of fluid built up and feels almost like it is moving around. I am worried....but have no insurance am currently traveling due to a family emergency. what could this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms so that I can try.Did you consult doctor in the last years.Any test taken or any past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I saw an ent 3 years ago. he cauterized the left side and put me on prednisone. it cleared the sinus infection i had, but i had a terrible reaction to it and broke out in hives all over my body. the nosebleeds came back a few months later and have been chronic since.

had a subtotal colectomy 10 years ago, but doubt that has anything to do with it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is late...i am tired. no response...

going to bed

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Most cases of nose bleeding is harmless though it is quite frightening, There are several causes of bleeding from nose like cold, allergy, irritation, nasal pricking , foreign body., respiratory infection. High blood pressure may also lead to nasal bleeding. Blood pressure should be checked too. Depending on the site in the nose & position of the body, the blood can come forward towards nasal opening or backward into the throat. The pain in the eye area can be due to sinus inflammation. If you swallow blood then there can be feeling of discomfort in the stomach. When you had a cautery it can be that the bleeding is coming from the same area. There can be a recurrence. You need to consult an ENT again. As you know, gently squeeze the soft part of the nose for about 10 minutes by sitting with leaning a bit forward so that you can breathe through mouth. This will prevent swallowing of blood too. You may put ice covered with a piece of cloth over the bridge of the nose which sometimes is helpful.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your early recovery.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you. Im not trying to be rude, but this is all old information. I already know all you just gave me from researching the internet as well as talking to doctors in the past.

I was sitting on a couch talking to a friend today and the blood just began to gradually flow and as always only on my left side. This is how it often happens, I can feel it begin...feels like I am about to have a runny nose, then it gradually gets worse. Of course, I wasnt sitting there picking my nose and try not to ever do so. I have seen a few ents and also an allergist. i have had sinus infections over the years and this is not the same. the headaches/eye pain happen right after the nose bleeds and the stomach pain starts immediately after that and they last several hours. i am mostly wanting to make sure that i am not at risk of blood getting into my stomach from all the drainage (if I clear my throat after a nb, i get large amounts of blood, like you would mucus). i read that blood in the stomach can be life threatening. the pain in my stomach is very strange and hard to describe. i dont have high blood pressure, check it regularly. it averages 118/70 and really dont have any major health issues. i am fit and active and at a healthy weight. I cant afford to keep seeing doctors that all tell me nothing i havent already heard. the past few days since the stomach pain has increased i feel lethargic and out of sorts. to my knowledge i dont have iron deficiency only b12 def. based on my last dr visit in august for a similar problem.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
I understand your despair from repeated doctor's visit. Bleeding if it occurs in the stomach then it can be life threatening. Swallowed blood may not be that much.
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience