Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

What Causes Black Palms?

What is the cause of palms of hands turning black and blue and then fading out at different times of day? Her hands do not ache and she has had no accidents. My granddaughter is 32 years old and this is happening to her. She is stressed going through a separation from her husband and won't see a doctor; I am truly concerned about her health. She is not overweight or taking any drugs. She has 2 children, ages 5 and 3.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I don't understand what you mean. The color of our palms is determined by the oxygen level in the blood. There can also be circulation problems in the hands, but this is associated with pain.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Could she be anaemic? And how dangerous is this if she does not see a doctor immediately?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Anemia causes the palms to be pale, not the color you mentioned. I doubt she has a serious problem if she has no pain in the hands. I don't think this is an emergency, but should it continue, she will need to see a doctor. Someone will have to exam her if it continues.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

You are welcome!