Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD

My mom has Vascular Dementia at 85 what is the life expectancy

Customer Question

My mom has Vascular Dementia at 85 what is the life expectancy of a person this age with it,
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
how bad is her memory now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She has some short term memory issues which are getting worse by the day and also she seems to be getting paranoid, and she cannot go to bathroom alone or up and down the stairs etc, she seems to be getting worse, she has heart arrythmia problems also, she gets very agitated but then sometimes seems normal
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
The main issue with people with dementia is airway protection.They forget to protect their airway and then aspirate fluid and /or saliva, which can cause them to choke or develop pneumonia.If it was just diagnosed 6 months ago it is unlikely to have reached this stage yet, and it may take years for it to reach this stage.It is possible for her to live many years before it gets to this stage.Trying to narrow it down more than that will be pure guess work

Hope this helps
Let me know if you have more questions

Edited by Dr B on 5/9/2010 at 2:10 AM EST
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I was just wondering when Mother has some other health issues, will it make her life expectancy longer, her doctor says she is in Middle to Severe Stage right now, so I was just wondering what your opinion on it was, she is agitated and does have severe short term memory loss that seems to be worse as every day comes along, but long term memory seems ok, she also get very depressed especially at night time,
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
The synergistic effect of other health issues and co-morbidities will reduce her life expectancy, as the affect they have on her might have more of a negative effect on her health than the dementia, depending on how serious her other health issues are.The dementia will likely take a long time for her to succomb to it, since it is in the early stage

Hope this helps

let me know if you have more questions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help, you have been very helpful in my questions
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome