Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

What does a UA Protein 15 (trace) mean

What does a UA Protein 15 (trace) mean?

Do you have any chronic health problems? (high blood pressure, diabetes?)
Take any medications?
Was this a one time urine reading that showed protein?
What is your age?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I really do not have any chronic health problems. However I do have Petite mall Epecalic sezures that are under control with daily tegretol. Yes today was the first test. I have been having sevire stomach pains lately which talked to doctor about said that it was do to gas and to try gas x. My glucose was high I think as well. My doctor has not contacted me yet saw the results online and got really scared. Sometimes I have been feeling like I need to urinate and really have not urinated much lately. My back has also been hurting. I do drink lots of coffee. I am 32 years old.

Thank you for the information,

Trace protein in the urine is very common. Try not to panic (although I understand...any time we get an abnormal result, it is scary).

For someone who is young, it is not likely that you have an underlying condition causing the protein. However, it is something that should be looked into, first with a repeat first morning urine.
It is possible that the trace protein is due to the tegretol.
Other common causes include exercise, dehydration, stress, fever. These cause "transient proteinuria", meaning it goes away.

If you did not have any blood in the urine or white blood cells, it is unlikely that your symptoms (back pain, frequent urination) are related to the protein.

If you continue to have protein, then your doctor may do more evaluation (kidney function tests).

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. Yes I am sure and I will want my doctor to do a repeat test. I am under allot of stress at work right now. Have not been eating really good the last couple of weeks because have been really busy at work. I know that is not to good. I kind of work two jobs. Only one job is very stressful. If the morning test is to still be high then would the doctor do more extensive kidney tests? Actually my temperature normally runs a little low and has been around 97.6. Sometimes I drink probably about 7 cups of coffee throught the day. Since my stomach upset I have cut down to 1 to 2 cups. My fasting glucose probably was not to high 102.

Your fasting glucose is not in the diabetic range...however a glucose (fasting) above 99 is abnormal. It indicates that you are at risk of developing diabetes in the future. It will be very important for you to maintain a healthy diet and weight in order to help prevent the progession of your sugars to a diabetic level (fasting of 126 or higher).

As for the protein, if it remains in your urine, your doctor may order kidney blood work (bun and creatinine and a protein to creatinine ratio which better details the amount of protein). A more detailed examination of the urine should also be done (a microscopic analysis).

Dr Abby