DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

It feels like I am walking on rocks as my feet are so painful.

It feels like I am walking on rocks as my feet are so painful. I have swelling like I have a pair of socks on.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello
does the swelling make a dent if you press on it with your finger?
You you have any medical conditions.
Meds?

dt
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it seems like the skin is tight around the feet and ankles but the biggest problem is walking. The whole foot (both feet0 seems like I am walking on bare bones.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
The first thought is that you need to be checked for diabetes, a stocking or "stocking glove" neruopathy is classic. Your doctor should do a fasting blood glucose.
Neuropathy can occur for many reasons, however.
A problem with the lower spinal cord could cause this and an MRI of the lumbosacral spine should be considered.
Thyroid disease should also be checked for.
Auto-immune disease in general should be screened with lab tests.
Kidney function should be checked with a lab test.
A vitamin B12, and folic acid level should be done and perhaps a B1, B3, and B6 level. This could be a nutritional neuropathy.
Discuss these issues with your doctor.

This problem does not sound like plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation, usually on the bottom back and/or lateral side of the food, although it is possible. You symptoms sound too much like neuropathy though.

Good Luck and I hope that this information helps.
dt
dt
_________________________________
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses very helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am on thyroid medication as I had half of it removed 25 years ago. Could this be the cause as this condition started about 3 years ago?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
It should not directly if things are well controlled, but you should have your levels checked as you could be over or under medicated.
I would also ask the doc to to an ANA and an ESR lab test, which would help screen for auto-immune disease.
Good Luck
dt
dt
_________________________________