Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

What could cause Penis burning sensation constant (always there

What could cause Penis burning sensation constant (always there 24/7) over 4 years and also felt on inner thigh?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

What are the investigations done for the burning on penis apart from tests for STI?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Other investigations done were:

urologist looked at penis and said nothing wrong visably
dermotologist visual test and saw nothing wrong, looked at it for 60 seconds.

there is no visible symptoms to them, yet they have no explanation for the burning pain

Blood glucose test for diabetes negative.

You need to get the following investigations;

1) A urine culture

2) A semen culture

3) A culture of prostate fluid which is expressed from penis, after prostate massage.

The penis burning is due to prostatitis. A prolonged course of antibiotics (about 4 weeks) would treat this. The cultures would give the best antibiotics effective against the infection.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 5/5/2010 at 8:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My sincere apologies, I forgot to mention Urine sample was taken, as well kidney ultra sounds were done - all normal.

Semen culture has never been taken

Prosate fluid culture has never been taken

Could prostatitis have gone on for 4 years and not cleared up naturally?

Why would urologist not mention this ealrier? Is this a rare or relatively unknown diagnosis?

No, this is not an uncommon diagnosis. Sometimes chronic prostatitis is not seriously pursued by the doctors, unless the symptoms are intense and severe. Prostate fluid and semen culture should clinch the diagnosis and would give you complete relief.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The burning is not caused by, or when urinating, its always there.
As I sit here typing these questions I feel it in my penis tip and inner thighs. Its also been around for almost 4 years, is that possible in prostatitis?

Can it be cured? Over the last 4 years it has become hard to have an erection and very little semen production.

What should I expect my doctor will look for in my semen and prostate cultures? What if they are clear?

Could urine test be clear, but evidence of prostatis present in semen and prostate cultures? I ask because I have had urine tests (and kidney scans) and whatever they tested for my samples were normal.

I understand that your burning is constant and is not associated with the urination. This is possible in prostatitis and is quite common symptom of chronic prostatitis. It is a curable disease. The cultures grow the organisms and tell about the best antibiotics effective against them. If they are clear; the next step would be culture of these fluids for the mycobacterium which needs very specific medium for the culture. Urine culture can be negative and prostate fluid and/or semen culture can be positive; this is the reason they are done.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will insist on semen and prostate cultures, even if I have to pay for them. My GP and specialists I've seen dont take me seriouly and have never come up with this possibility - after 4 years!!!

You are most welcome.

I think these investigations should be able to find the diagnosis/treatment.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr Arun,

I thank you for the email from Just Answer. Here is an update on my condition

I went to a private clinic and used my own money to see an urologist. He did not take any samples but did check my prostate, no issues with the finger test.

He said to take Cyprofloxacin Hydrochloride tablets twice a day for a week and no caffine and see him in about 2 weeks.

He did not see anything wrong visually and next time I see him I will take a copy of your answer with me. So far its been 4 days on the pills and no difference yet.

Thank you very much for your help on this important part of my life and I will let you know what happens next.

You are very welcome and thanks for the update. An antibiotic without a culture is not likely to help and these culture are likely to give the insight for the best antibiotic.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No better after 5 years now. Any suggestions, all doctors and urologists in Vancouver disagree with what you said and have not diagnosed chronic prostatitis.

Are you near Vancouver BC for me to come see you?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

All those who disagree, should be able to resolve the symptoms, if do not get the cultures done.

Dr. Arun