DOCDEV
DOCDEV, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCCS, Post Doctoral Fellowship in Cardiac Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine.
14105073

I am now 7 months after knee replacement surgery and still

I am now 7 months after knee replacement surgery and still in pain. It's worse at nite and I am awakened by the pain and straightening my knee, I have been to 2 drs. and they say I'm healing just finel Xray pictures r good, I am allergic to nickel. Could this be my problem? I'm frustrated as to what I can do.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DOCDEV replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Apart from nickle, some people are also allergic to bone cement used during TKR.

Please discuss with the treating surgeon , if this could be an issue??

Hope this advice helps. Please click ACCEPT so I may receive credit for my time. Feel free to continue asking questions, I am here to help.

Information is for EDUCATION only. Doesn't replace a visit to your Doc. Positive feedback appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HOW DO I FIND OUT IF I'M ALLERGIC TO THE CEMENT & IF SO, WHAT DO I DO?
Expert:  DOCDEV replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry you are going through this.

If the patient is known to have any allergies to constituents of the bone cement, bone cement should not be used to anchor the prosthesis. Cement-free implant placement - is the alternative.

Allergy to cement is tested BEFORE the procedure . Please discuss with your surgeon if this could be an issue?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more question. If I were allergic to the cement, what would the symtoms be and how would I find out?
Expert:  DOCDEV replied 6 years ago.

The symptoms will be pain and inflammation in the knee. There will also be some amount of instability of the prosthesis, and you will know it while walking. The X Ray will also reveal this.