Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

when i drink hot liquids i get a burning sensations in my chest

when i drink hot liquids i get a burning sensations in my chest as well as pain in my left ring finger also get the pain in finger when i burp and it is a sharp pain i cant even where my wedding ring
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.
any other medical problems or medications? Does this happen when you have spicy foods? Any chest pain or shortness of breath with exertion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no its weird when i drink coffee or any hot liquids i get a sharp pain in my left hand or when i regurgitate its a very sharp pain i am taking vioceden for back issues a lot of the times pain is when i eat or have the hot liquids not with spicy food though
Well, it sounds like you have reflux- and this is exacerbated by eating hot liquids. In some people, spicy or acidic foods can do it as well. The organs chest (and abdomen) are innervated by nerves, but not in the same way as the skin. In the skin, if you touch it, you know exactly where the touch is (or pain). Because there are a lot of sensitive nerve endings. With the organs, the nerves that innervate them are few and far between and it is not very accurate. So pain in the gallbladder can actually be felt in the left shoulder. Same dealio for the esophagus- pain from thermal irritation (in your case) can be felt in the hands. So, I would avoid hot foods and beverages. You can also take maalox or mylanta. And you may want to try over the counter zantac or pepcid.

Of course, if you have chest pain with exertion, shortness of breath or other concerning symptoms, (black stool or blood in stool), you need to go to the doctor right away.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does it matter that the pain is so bad that i find myself messageing my finger almost like a cramp?
No, but I would avoid the triggers since it seems to bother you. But it is not lifethreatening.
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing