Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have lower back pain and dark orange stool. Why?

I have had oily orange stools and dark yellow urine for a week now, pain in my back and both sides just above the waist line, gas and tiredness for two weeks or longer. Diet has no affect.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 6 years ago.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms so that I can try. Since how long the change in color of stool and urine? How frequent? Any other symptom? How is stool consistency? How frequent is urine? Any past illness? Any test? Any medication/treatment taken?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Color changes of stool and urine present for a week to 10 days.
No change in frequency, color change consistent in both every time. I had a colonoscopy recently, it was clear. Had blood work done for an illness last week, some odd virus that made me feel faint and my ears ring, no increase in white blood cell count, only comment made was too low on Vitamin D. It went away in 3 days on its own. They did order an x-ray of my lungs, that was fine as well. I do have irritable bowel w/ constpation for 20 years, now take a laxative nightly. Other meds are Pristiq and levothyoxinne, both for over 4 months. I stopped both last week when I got ill, which made no difference in bowel/urine color change.
I forgot to tell my doc about the stool/urine color changes, passing out every time I walked seemed more important. I did mention the pain in my back and constant gas, as well as my daily use of zantac, but no comment was made on that by the doctor.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the input. I shall try my best to explain the condition.
The dark yellow urine can be due to concentrated urine from less intake of fluid or excess loss. The other factors can be food or medicines particularly vitamins, or increased amount of bilirubin from liver problem as jaundice. Stool color can also be from food, but it is also be due to less mixing of bile with stool from intestinal inflammation, or liver problem. When the symptoms are persistent, I think you need to talk to your doctor again. If he thinks he can advise blood tests for seeing the bilirubin level & other liver enzymes.
Hope this information will help you. Wish you a healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask. It will be my privilege to assist you.