Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

What does it mean to have fatty helium and palpable abnormality?

I have done a Neck Ultrasound today and the finding as follows:
Findings: The palpable abnormality in the region of the right submanidular gland corrrsponds to a small-Volume lymph node measuring 1.5*0.5cm. This not not enlarged according to the size criteria. Fatty hilum of this lymph node is preserved. A few, small-volume lymph nodes are noted in the submandibular region. These are likely reactive in nature. The submandibular gland is normal appearance.
Comments: Small volume lymph nodes are noted in the right submandibular region. NO other singnificant abnormality is detected.
My question is :
What does that mean? Please Explain every word to me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

The palpable abnormality in the region of the right submandibular gland corresponds to a small-Volume lymph node measuring 1.5*0.5cm. This not enlarged according to the size criteria. = You have a swelling which you can feel (palpable), which is in the region of right side of the lower jaw (right submandibular gland region). This is 1.5 x 0.5 cm and this size is not considered as enlarged. The size criteria is any lymph node enlargement which has about 2 cubic cm of volume. Here the volume is quite less.

Fatty hilum of this lymph node is preserved. = this lymph node has normal appearance. The lymph node has a central area which is called as hilum. This is fatty in appearance in normal lymph node. In abnormal lymph nodes this fatty appearance is changed. Since it is preserved, it is normal.

A few, small-volume lymph nodes are noted in the submandibular region. = There are some other small volume (which means insignificant lymph nodes and that means normal lymph nodes) are also seen in the same region of lower jaw.

These are likely reactive in nature. = This means reaction to the inflammatory process like some infection (sore throat, mouth ulcers etc).

The submandibular gland is normal appearance. = Submandibular gland is a salivary gland which secretes saliva when we eat. It is normal.

Comments: Small volume lymph nodes are noted in the right submandibular region. NO other significant abnormality is detected. = It means that small volume lymph nodes are seen which have no clinical significance. There is no other abnormality.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Than Dr. but I want to pay your attention I had thyroid cancer since the last july 2009. So, does the nodes indicate any mets. Are these nodes are not cancerous or non-cancerous.

Also, what is the suitable medication for these selling nodes?

These are non cancerous lymph nodes. They do not denote metastasis. An antibiotic course may be tried but these usually do not warrant any treatment.