Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

what is heart strain

Customer Question

what is heart strain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.

The definition varies according to the context. In what context was the term used?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last week i went to a dr to get a pre-operative exam,, he did a ekg on me and afterwards said He thinks i had a heart attack,,, boy, that was news to me,,, I think I had one right then and there,,, But the exam is for me to get my meniscus tear in my right knee,,, So I am set up to see a heart dr tuesday,,, the reg dr wants me to show the heart dr my ekg chart,,, it saids i have had a strain on my heart,,, abnormal ecg,,, maybe block arties,, my blood came back neg,, and blood pressure was 120/80 its funny that i dont feel any pain till I start thinking about it for awhile,,,

In this context, there is a particular pattern that can be seen on the EKG that is referred to as "strain." There are many different possible causes of the strain pattern on the EKG. One of the possible causes is poor blood supply to the heart, and this is the cause that is most concerning in a person that is about to have elective surgery. Other causes of a strain pattern include high blood pressure, ventricular hypertrophy, valvular disease, or congestive heart failure. Certain lung diseases can also cause right heart strain on the EKG. Regarding the possibility of a heart attack, there are some heart attacks that can occur without causing any symptoms, called silent heart attacks. As the ability to detect previous heart attacks have improved, it has been found that about ¼ of heart attacks are silent. Therefore, it is not that unusual for a person to discover that they have had a heart attack despite having never had symptoms.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is a treatment for poor blood supply to the heart? And for ventricular hypertrophy, valvular disease?

Treatment would depend upon the nature and extent of the artery disease that is leading to the poor blood supply, but may include medicines, such as aspirin, beta-blockers, or nitrates, or may require procedures to open up or bypass more severe artery disease. Hypertrophy is treated by treating the underlying condition that is causing the hypertrophy, but may include lowering blood pressure or treating the lung disease. Treatment of valve disease depends upon which valve is involved and the nature of the valve dysfunction, but may require ACE inhibitors or surgery.