DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177
Medical

I have a black or dark lump or blister on the my tongue near

I have a black or... Show More
I have a black or dark "lump" or blister on the my tongue near the tip that I thought would just go away but it's not. It's not getting any bigger but it seems to swell a little at times. I know I need to see a doctor or dentist and plan to soon as I can but is there any potential risks of cancer? 10 years ago I was treated for Hodkins Lymphoma which was just entering stage 3. In general I do feel good . Thank you!
This could be a harmless fibroma.
Several other conditions all of which are not cancer could cause this.
If there is no cratering or ulceration, less likely cancer.
Would also expect cancer to be more often at the base of the tongue.
The tongue is a rare place for lymphoma but possible.
The doc to go to is an oral surgeon, and I bet the dentist refers you.
Good Luck
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses very helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
Please define cratering or ulceration to a layman. Also if it is Fibroma, Could you give brief desciption? I must mention I have a removable partial that may have started the "lump" by constant "clicking of fake tooth". It's very bothersome. But I am concerned about why it doesn't go away. Thanks Jon
Constant irritation could create a blood blister like mass. The dentist will be able to tell.
A fibroma is a lump of connective tissue.
Cratering means a hole in the center or the lesion.
Ulceration means ulcer formation, a sore, within the lesion.
Good luck
dt
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
One more quick question. I almost decided to spilt the blister with a sterilized X-Acto knife with the thinking of relieving the "mass" or lump. How does an oral doctor usually treat or advise this condition? Thank you again and I'm very happy with your response. Jon
don't do it
An oral surgeon would probably take of the whole thing and send it for examination.
dt
__________________________________________________________