Doctor Ellis
Doctor Ellis, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor

How can I safely wean myself off Lisinopril/HZT. My doctor

Customer Question

How can I safely wean myself off Lisinopril/HZT. My doctor won't help me. I've been taking 12.5mg for about a year, and it's really messing me up (my blood pressure has even gotten higher, and I'm practically unable to function).

I want to start an exercise program and reduce my blood pressure naturally. I'm even having trouble breathing, bad cough, chills, extreme fatigue, weight gain, dizziness, etc., etc. I know in my heart this medication is very harmful to me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Ellis replied 6 years ago.

If you have high blood pressure then it may be better to switch to a blood pressure medication that you tolerate better until after you have been on your new exercise regimen for a while and have lost weight. Then you can try to wean off the BP medications and see if your blood pressure is within a normal range.

If you are completely against taking the medication then it is your right to take or not take anything you want. Your doctor is obligated to explain the risks of high blood pressure to you. You can just stop taking it if that is what you choose.

Make sure that you follow a low salt diet and that you follow up with your doctor during your exercise program to recheck your pressure.

Before you begin the program it may be a good idea to have a full work up - EKG, stress test to make sure that your heart is in good enough shape for exercise.

I hope this was helpful! If so, please click on the green ACCEPT button.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Feel free to ask if you have more questions....

Feedback is appreciated!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I want to know how to reduce my dosage. If you cannot answer that, please refund my money.