Dr. Dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience:  US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.
19562837

My wife has an ileostomy. She has many sores on her stoma and

Customer Question

My wife has an ileostomy. She has many sores on her stoma and the doctor has told her she has stomatitis. He said there is not much that they can do for it .but has prescribed flagyl for it. She has been on it for over a week with no improvement. She has RSD and is in constant pain and the stomatitis is extremely painful also. Is there any thing she can do to cure the stomatitis or at least lessen the burning pain from it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Caring doc replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to justanswer!

sorry to hear about your problem

The problem with ileostomy is that when it is not properly sealed the stool comes in contact with skin causing irritation and damage. Your wife does not strong antibiotics to combat this as this is chemical irritation and will become alright with good stoma care.Keep a watertight seal around your stoma to prevent skin problems. Keeping the skin around your stoma clean and dry will also help prevent skin problems.Some of the advice to help you deal with stoma problems is as follows:

• Empty pouch about every four to six hours. Empty the pouch when it is one-third full. Do not wait until the pouch is completely full because this could put pressure on the seal and cause a leak. The pouch may also detach, causing all of the pouch contents to spill
  • Drain the pouch by squeezing the pouch contents into the toilet.
  • Pectin-based paste or paste strips/rings: These products are helpful for protecting skin against the digestive enzymes found in the stool (proteins that break down foods). The digestive enzymes that are in the stool that drains from an ileostomy can irritate or damage the skin. Pastes are also used to create a flat pouch surface by filling in small skin creases.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My wife does all of that and empties the pouch at least once an hour. I change it at least once a day and it is impossible to keep the stool from touching the skin. I use the best bags on the market and also use the karaya paste to protect the skin around the stoma . The sores are on the stoma not on the skin. So far you have not told me anything I do not know already.
Expert:  Dr. Dennis replied 4 years ago.
. I see that you opted out CARING DOC. I am not sure it will help, and I believe that Dr SAAD has given you excellent information.

However here are a few common "horse sense" thoughts which I came up with since you are obviously well versed and experienced in this ostomy situation.

1. I highly suggest getting in touch with the United Ostomy Association... http://www.uoaa.org/. I dont know if you have but they have the site loaded with RESOURCES that may be able to give you hints that even we, as docs, do not know. Another thought--every hospital (large ones) have AN OSTOMY TEAM OR OSTOMY NURSES. Call them and ask for assist or advice.

The american cancer society has a link for this as well.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. I mean thats what this site is for, especially when we cannot examine the pt and know the full extent of the medical issue.

good luck,

dr dennis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done all of this .The ostomy nurse at the hospital didn't have clue.Thanks.This infomation your site has provided really doesn't have a good answer for a difficult problem.
Sir, I am sorry for your wife's difficulties and the resulting issues that you as her spouse must confront. One last question, is here physician a board certified colorectal surgeon.?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I only take my wife to the best after checking their credentials.More than one physician has been involved in her treatment. I thought that one of you might have some additional insight as to how to at least relieve her discomfort. I would like to get off this merry-go-round and have my money returned. Thanks.

I have nothing to do with your refund.
Good luck and best wishes.