T Khan
T Khan, Doctor
Experience:  UW Med School/UCLA Training/USC Faculty. Full Spectrum Family Medicine - Adult, Peds, OB/GYN
33362630

Is StemTeck, sold by StemTech, actually enhancing the stem

Is StemTeck, sold by StemTech, actually enhancing the stem cells in our body ?
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Medical
Expert:  T Khan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA - sorry you are going through this, let me opine.

StemTech and their products have been under scrutiny for their dubious claims. There is no FDA regulation on supplements thus there is sparse clinical data on these supplements.

So, to answer your question - this has not been proven to make a differnce and I would recommend further studies.

StemTech has not been shown to make any difference in a double blind head to head prospective randomized control trial.

I am invovled in the identification of the claims of this company and will thus quote below some opinions in this:

StemEnhance appears to be the brainchild of Christian Drapeau and Gitte S. Jensen, Ph.D. Drapeau is director of Research and Development for Desert Lake Technologies, of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Desert Lake's Web site says that before that, he spend five years as director for research and development for Cell Tech International, a multilevel company whose primary products are derived from blue-green algae [2]. The Web site also states that Drapeau holds a master of science degree in neurology and neurosurgery. Jensen is director of research for Holger NIS Inc., of Port Dover, Ontario, Canada. Holger's Web site states that her Ph.D. is in immunology and that she has done research projects on immunology, cancer biology and metastasis, and nutrition [3].

In February 2002, Medical Hypothesis published a report in which Jensen and Drapeau speculated that adult stem cells from bone marrow might be capable of migrating to various tissues where they could produce regeneration and repair. They also urged others to look for substances that could trigger such mobilization [4]. A few months later they applied for a patent in the United States for a method for "enhancing stem cell trafficking." The patent document states that they had administered blue-green algae preparations and detected increased circulating stem cell levels in humans and laboratory animals [5]. The patent was awarded in November 2004. Stem Tech HealthSciences, which is a multilevel marketing company, registered its domain in September 2005 and began soliciting distributors through the Internet soon afterward.

Desert Lake Technologies was incorporated in 1999. In addition to Drapeau, three of its executives worked for Cell Tech for several years. XXXXX XXXXXo was Cell Tech's chief financial officer; Michael Jubie was its process engineer; and Peter York was its harvest engineer. In July 2000, Drapeau notified the FDA that Desert Lake intended to claim that its blue-green algae product Summa would be claimed to "help maintain a healthy cholesterol level." The FDA responded that that the claim would be illegal [6].

In 2001, a citizen's group filed a suit in California objecting to 30 claims Cell Tech had made in brochures or on its Web site. In February 2003, the judge ruled that all of the challenged statements were deceptive. He banned their further use in California and ordered Cell Tech to refund the full purchase price to California consumers who purchased its algae products between October 1997 and September 2002 [7].

Over the years, concerns have been raised that blue-green algae products might contain dangerous toxins [8-10].

Unanswered Questions

Before taking any product, it is advisable to know whether it has been proven safe and effective for its intended purpose(s). With respect to StemEnhance, the following questions would have to be answered:

• What evidence shows that taking StemEnhance will improve anyone's health?
  • Has any study shown that people improved their health as a result of taking it?
  • What evidence shows that StemEnhance is safe for long-term use?
  • How can users be certain that long-term use will not cause abnormal tissue growth?
  • For whom is the product advisable?
  • Who should not take it?

Some studies have found that circulating stem cells from bone marrow can develop into a few other types of mature cells [11,12]. Most of these studies were done in animals and should not be interpreted as applicable to humans. Human studies have found that found that injecting stem cells into the coronary arteries might be beneficial and that the number of circulating stem cells may help determine the prognosis for cardiovascular disease [13]. As far as I know, however, no study has demonstrated that increasing the number of circulating cells-as StemEnhance is claimed to do-is safe to do over a long period of time, is effective against human disease, or makes people generally healthier.

References

1. Welcome to the world of wellness and the magic of StemEnhanceTM 'helping the body help itself." Tony Kent Web site, accessed Nov 17, 2005. The same or similar messages appear on many other distributor sites.
  2. Desert Lake Technologies' corporate executive team. Desert Lake Technologies Web site, accessed Nov 18, 2005.
  3. Director of research. Holger N.I.S. Inc Web site, accessed Nov 17, 2005.
  4. Jensen GS, Drapeau C. Method for enhancing stem cell trafficking. Patent #6,814,961, filed May 13, 2002, awarded Nov 9, 2004.
  5. Jensen S, Drapeau C. The use of in situ bone marrow stem cells for the treatment of various degenerative diseases. Medical Hypotheses 59:422-428, 2002.
  6. Foret JB. Letter to Christian Drapeau, July 19, 2000.
  7. Barrett S. Cell Tech loses false advertising suit. MLM Watch, Aug 18, 2003.
  8. McPartland JM. Why blue-green algae makes me tired. Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, June 1997, pp 94-96.
  9. Gilroy GJ and others. Assessing potential health risks from microcystin toxins in blue-green algae dietary supplements. Environmental Health Perspectives 108:435-439, 2000.
  10. Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) and their toxins. Health Canada Online, June 2003.
  11. Körbling M and others. Hepatocytes and epithelial cells of donor origin in recipients of peripheral blood stem cells. New England Journal of Medicine 346:738-746, 2002.
  12. Can human hemopoetic stem cells become skin, gut, or liver cells? New England Journal of Medicine 346:770-772, 2002.
  13. Barbarina A and others. Circulating endothelial progenitor cells characterization, function and relationship with cardiovascular risk factors. Current 13:1699-713, 2007.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the first 30 days free ?
Expert:  T Khan replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what the current deal or promotion is, you'd have to contact stemtech directly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I mean, is the first 30 day access to "JA" free ?
Expert:  T Khan replied 4 years ago.

I don't think there is such an offer. Once you make a deposit and an answer is posted, we as expert Physicians only get reimbursed for our time when you click on the ACCEPT button. JA does not pay us for our time, only you the customer does which is why there isn't a 30 day free time.

Thanks.

T Khan, Doctor
Experience: UW Med School/UCLA Training/USC Faculty. Full Spectrum Family Medicine - Adult, Peds, OB/GYN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

I saw DR Oz today, and he said to watch the Herbs one takes. Is there a site that tells me which Herbs are good, and which are fake.

I take "Glucosamine HCL +MSM", Garlic, Ginkgo Biloba, and CoEnzyme-Q10.

Are these of any value? Do they interfere with the following prescription drugs.

The prescription drugs are, eg Diovan [ b . pressure], metformin, Crestor.

thanks, Ed

Expert:  T Khan replied 4 years ago.

Herbal meds are unregulated by the FDA so there is no one place to look these up unfortunately.

I would recommend avoiding the ginko as this can react. THe garlic and co-enzyme Q should be fine.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  T Khan replied 4 years ago.
no problem - glad I could help and good luck to you!