Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.
28687509

My big toe nail is separating from the nailbed and is not growing.

My big toe nail is separating from the nailbed and is not growing. Will I lose this nail? And do I have a fungus or nail injury? The nail is a yellowish color. My other toenails are fine.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Is this nail pitted and do you have history of trauma to that nail?
Thank you very much for your patience!

Most of the time if the nail is merely separated from the bed , it turns yellow or white and simple trimming is the answer .Once you trim the nail it regrows.But if the nail is raised at the base , means that it has fungus and it turns yellow also.The nail with fungus is called onychomycosis.The treatment of the fungus of nail is two ways , oral and topical.By the most effective treatment is oral and drugs like Lamisil sporanox and fulvicin are most effective drugs.Topical Creams and other topical medications are usually not effective against nail fungus. This is because nails are too hard for external applications to penetrate. However, a new medicated nail lacquer ciclopirox (Penlac) topical solution 8% has been approved to treat finger or toenail fungus that does not involve the white portion of the nail (lunula) in people with normal immune systems. It only works about 7% of the time.The treatment for a nail fungus is 50-75% successful.However if such treatment doesn't work , please see your dermatologist.
Hope i have answered your question.
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience: 18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.