Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Sores on inner thigh

I have a sore on my inner thigh for about 1 week. It is just one sore, but at one point it was filled with pus. It's hard to describe it now, round, flatter and red. It sort of has a white ring around it. Could this be herpes?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 6 years ago.

It is painful? Any fever or chills?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is barely painful and that minimal pain is only if I press on it. I have had ingrown hairs there before but I dont see a follicle and it looks a little different. I do not have chills, and my temp now is 97.9. Since I noticed the bump/pimple/whatever I have not had a fever
Thanks
This doesn't sound like herpes- herpes has flat ulcerated lesions which are painful and never filled with pus. If it had pus in it, it may have been an infected gland. Also you don't always see the follicle in infected follicules. It sounds like it was a small abscess which is now resolving. I would put warm compresses on it to encourage blood flow (and white blood cells to fight off the infection). If it starts to get worse, or if you develop any fever or chills, I would see your doctor right away for antibiotics.

Warm regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What does 'flat ulcerated lesions' mean, and look like? At first it was red for a few days and then it was fluid filled. The fluid seemed to be like pus to me. But if it was herpes, are you saying it probably would have been noticeably painful?

Herpes is very painful- and you have multiple lesions. I would Google a picture of herpes. But the lesions are flat (self-explanatory) and the ulcer means that there is an area of exposed angry skin- NOT fluid filled pus.
http://bryanking.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/genital_herpes.jpg