Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My blood tests results state that my Creatinine is 0.53 L

My blood tests results state that my Creatinine is 0.53 L and out of range. Reference range is 0.63-1.22 mg/dL. My BUN/CREATININE RATIO is 25 H and out of range. This was a fasting blood test. I am a 71 yr old female. Should I be concerned about my kidney function?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
The normal range is established at the range in which about 98% of people with no medical problems will have results.

There is no real concern with a LOW creatinine - this is typically seen in people with somewhat smaller muscle mass (as compared to athletes that have larger muscle mass).

When you have kidney disease your creatinine is ELEVATED - higher than the normal range.

When the creatinine is low, the BUN/Creatinine range tends also to be abnormal (since this is a calculated value)

Unless your physician has told you otherwise, you test does NOT indicate a problem.