Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

i woke up with a stiff neck 2days ago and trouble swallowing...

i woke up with a stiff neck 2days ago and trouble swallowing... its like something is stuck going down my throat into my chest everytime i swallow... other symotoms would be tired and a little achey in my back.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!

Do you have fever, nausea, heartburn, acid reflux, sore throat? Do you have pain when you swallow? What kind of trouble are you having with it? Can you put your chin on chest?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i can put my chin to my chest...its more like a stiff neck to where u have to move your whole body to see something.. and the pain with swallowing it not a soar throat pain its more like if you swallowed something sideways and it hurts going all the way done through your chest... no nausea... a little bit of hot flashes ... not sure if i have a fever dont think so.. and i thought it might b heartburn but not sure never really had that.. it doesnt really burn though...
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you don't seem to have any alarming features at this time. Your neck discomfort seems to be due to abnormal posture during sleep. you can use pain meds local/ oral, heating pad and mild neck exercise. You will feel better in few days.

Regarding your swallowing problem, pattern is suggesting rawness in your throat and esophagus. Generally the causes are viral and self recovery is expected within a week. In the mean time you can use listerine gargle, OTC decongestant meds.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

my throat is not raw...and doesnt hurt like that it is like something is stuck in there and you can feel it move down your chest when i swallow its not sore like rawness and doesnt feel like gargling anything would do any good. Its in my chest area i feel it when i swallow

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
I can understand your discomfort, people describe it in a different way. When you can feel the food movement and something stuck in your throat, these are often not mechanical rather due to infection, acid reflux or other health issues. since you developed all these symptoms 2 days ago, I would consider conservative management for few days with decongestant, otc prilosec and see if you feel better. As I have stated, most of the time, you recover within a week, if you don't recover, you will have to visit your doctor for proper evaluation and investigation to rule out exact cause.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok but i feel it stuck in my that the same? someone sugguested it could be viral meningitis...
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you can feel it in chest.

Viral meningitis is an urgent medical case, your symptom does not support meningitis. Having neck discomfort does not mean that you have meningitis.

You can keep eye on certain symptoms such as high grade fever, inability to put chin on your chest, headache, confusion, photophobia, blurring of vision. If you develop these symptoms, then seem medical advise ASAP.