Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.

What would cause all my joints to hurt. My hands, feet, knees,

What would cause all my joints to hurt. My hands, feet, knees, elbow, neck, back.... I had a rheumatoid arthritis blood test one but it didn't show anything. Sometimes I can hardly walk without hurting. Are there any other tests that I should investigate?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask you a few questions in order for me to understand your situation better thereby allowing me to help you better:

1) For how long are you having these problems and how do you think that this problem started off?

2) Any swelling/ redness/ etc over the joints?

3) Any recent history of viral infections/ prolonged illness?

4) Any other medical issues/ significant history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have had pain in the top of my feet for about a year but it's getting worse. I have had pain in my hips for several years even tender to the touch. If I push at all on the joint it hurts. Can't tell if there is really swelling but not red at all. The pain in my hands has been in the last year. I have had carpul tunel surgery in both wrists but this pain is not the same. No numbness or tingeling feelings just very sore and I do notice swelling in my hands and loss of strength in them.
My knees have just started hurting in the last 2-3 months. They swell some occasionally. Many days I feel like I've been used as a punching bag. My left elbow on the inside has been sore for about 9 months to a year. It does swell up but seems to go down if I ice it. If I do anything that uses my left arm it's painful. I did try a pressure brace below the elbow but it didn't really help.
I haven't had any viral or prolonged illnesses. I do have essential tremor which mainly affects my hands shaking and at times my voice. When it's really bad my whole body feels like it's shaking.
Only medical issue I'm taking medicaton for is migraines. I take effexor daily which seems to help keep them down to 2-3 monthly.

Thanks for all the additional details. Having gone through your descriptions, quite possibly we are dealing with a rheumatoid factor negative arthritis. There could be many different causes for such a problem, and I am sure that your doctor would be looking out for autoimmune diseases, polymyalgia rheumatica, and fibromyalgia, etc.

I hope that this information helps. Best wishes. Please feel free to enquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can.