Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

My body temperature today is 95.6. Normally it is 97.3

Customer Question

My body temperature today is 95.6. I take it each morning and it has never been this low. It is normally 97.3. I also have a headache. Is this a cause for concern. Is it a symptom of flu? I also have a runny nose and runny eyes. I am afraid it is an early symptom of HIV.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

Regarding your question, I want to share with you that flu results in an increase in body temperature and not a fall in body temperature. So there are a number of factors that can result in a low temperature; such as recording temperature immediately after taking some cold thing to eat and then if temperature is recorded orally it can give false low reading. In addition to that, low body metabolism seen in hypothyroidism can give rise to low readings of temperature. So if you have no other problems then nothing to worry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My morning temperature is consistently 97.1-3. What are some other possible causes of a drop in temperature? I have a mild headache and feel slightly dizzy. My nose is stuffy and runny. I have mild burning sensation around hips.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

Well persistently low temperature typically come on or worsen after severe stress so stress may be the contributing factor for that.