T Khan
T Khan, Doctor
Experience:  UW Med School/UCLA Training/USC Faculty. Full Spectrum Family Medicine - Adult, Peds, OB/GYN

I get really weak and shaky in mid morning and late afternoon.

I get really weak and shaky in mid morning and late afternoon. My blood sugar is then about 71. Is this normal? Or is this causing my feeling so bad.
Category: Medical
Expert:  T Khan replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JA - sorry you are going through this, let me opine.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications (for diabetes)? Other symptoms? how long?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no meds but a ppi for my stomach
I feel exhausted all the time have a lot of headaches
Expert:  T Khan replied 6 years ago.

A normal fasting blood sugar level is <126. Usually in the 100-110 range. 71 is a low number but for most people, however, this shouldn't cause a problem.

However, every person's physiology is different of course. In some people, they do get the symptoms of hypoglycemia in the 70's.

Symptoms of low blood sugar:

- shaking

- confusion

- sweating

- palpitations

- chest pain

- stomach pain

- nausea

Given the symptoms you are describing, it does sound like you are having low blood sugars and symptoms due to this. I would thus suggest you keep some OJ or candy with you to take when you feel this way.

This may just be your normal physiology but you deserve to be worked up for other reasons that this could occur, such as:
- insulinoma

- adrenal disease

- kidney disease

If the above are negative, then you will likely be fine with small frequent meals to keep your blood sugars stable.

Good luck!