Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

My daughter had black spots on her scalp. They could be scratched

My daughter had black spots on her scalp. They could be scratched off and were completely gone after one shampoo with Nizoral. She also had what looked like salt in the same area - not flakes - more like salt or sand. She has no itching at all. What could this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 6 years ago.
it could be one of the following:

1.Black dot tinea capitis
that is the fungal infection of the scalp common at her age group

2. Seborrheic Dermatitis

3. Pediculosis induced nits

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did check out tinea capitis but she does not have any itching or hair loss. Her pediatrician suspected that too so she did a scraping to send out to a lab for culture. Could it be tinea capitis without itching or hair loss? How long will the culture take? The reason I am so concerned is because my daughter is going to make her First Holy Communion on May 1st and I REALLY don't want her hair falling out! Her doctor did NOT start her on the antibiotic yet. If it is tinea capitis, will it progress until she starts oral antibiotics? Should I push the doctor to start them now so she does not lose her hair for her big day? I have continued to wash her hair daily with Nizoral (for the first 3 days) and then every other day. Any other suggestions?
dear

what you doing right now is perfect. Do wash her hair with nizral thrice a week making sure that it is kept on the scalp for 10 minutes.

tinea capitis is normally associated with hair loss and the area has black dots thats why it is known as black dot capitis.
itching may not be present.

Antibiotics want make any difference.
she could also apply a safe cortisol shampoo or foam or fluticasone shampoo thrice a week . that will work wonders.
normally the culture should take 1 to 2 weeks. mostly a week. do try the cortisol shampoo . also think of seborreich dermatitis which will respond well to the above shampoo..

regards