DoogleNK, Doctor
Experience:  orthopedics,general medicine 7years of experience

dermatologist treat mouth ulcers and to check..dermatitis

54 y female diagnosed with celiac disease. My gastro doc has referred me to a dermatologist treat mouth ulcers and to check out hepitiform dermatitis. He turfed me because he didn't want to deal with my symtoms. Can a dermatologist diagnose the cause of mouth ulcers?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 6 years ago.
Dermatitis herpitiformis is known to be associated with celiac disease. It is diagnosed by a blood test to look for IgA antibody and a skin biopsy ( most often done by dermatologists). I believe your gastro doc did the right thing and referred you to a dermatologist who would consider a skin biopsy. The dermatologist can also run additional blood tests to look for deficiency of vitamin B12,folic acid, iron and autoimmune diseases which can cause persistent mouth ulcers.