Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

vp shunt settings. symptoms in patients with wrong setting

vp shunt settings.
symptoms in patients with wrong settings
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Can you please clarify your question for me?

Also, how old is the patient?
How long has there been a problem with the shunt?
What caused the need for the shunt?
Why do you think there is a problem?
What other medical problems does the patient have?
What medications does the patient take?

G-d Bless
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, how old is the patient? -23
How long has there been a problem with the shunt? - there is no problem, so far
What caused the need for the shunt? - hydrosephalos
Why do you think there is a problem? - started to have a headache
What other medical problems does the patient have? - histoplasmosis
What medications does the patient take? - steroids, antibiotics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how old is the patient? -23
The shunt itself does not have 'settings'. It is a very simple pump and tube. If the unit malfunctions - if there is any reason that the fluid is not going through the shunt as instead staying in the brain this can be VERY dangerous. I personally have a patient who was afraid to tell her mother about the headaches she was getting (when she had a shunt) and by the time she told her mother the damage was so severe that she was left blind!.
The patient must go see the doctor right away to avoid any complications.
If the shunt is malfunctioning then it can often be treated very easily.

I hope this patient feels better soon.
Please make sure s/he takes care of this immediately. TODAY.
If the headaches are coming from increased pressure on the brain then they should be able to even see that by looking into the patient's eyes.

G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions please feel free to ask them.

_________________________

If you are satisfied with my answer, please push "accept" so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.