Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

My total cholesterol was 238 at last blood test. I eat very

My total cholesterol was 238 at last blood test. I eat very little meat and six months ago gave up eating all dairy. I eat a very healthy, high insoluble fiber, low fat diet and take 3 Omega 3,6,9 capsules a day. I am under 5 feet tall, weigh 127.5 lbs. My HDL is 96! My new family physician says because I am 61, do not exercise and am overweight, she wants me to take Simvastatin while I add exercise, and weight loss to my daily regimen. Two months ago, my total was 250, but I added policosonal to my diet and the numbers came down a bit.The question is am I at so high risk simply because of age that I need to take a script right away or shouldn't I try to exercise and lose weight and add cholesterol lowering foods to my diet for 3 months before taking meds? I am very worried about side effects and would rather try natural methods.
Hi

Welcome to just answer...

Can you please tell me if you have any heart diease?
Did you ever had stroke?
Any other risk factors?
Are you hypertensive?
Do you have diabetes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have none of the factors you ask about. My doctor says she is only worried about my age being 61 and the total suddenly starting to go up. I have been at this weight for the last two years, but also this past year have been under a great deal of stress.
Thanks for the input...

Well as you don't have any of the risk factors that I asked for I don't think that just based on your age you need to be put on statin medications on such emergency bases...

Yes you can wait and try the herbal methods with a dietary restriction for fats, adequate exercise before you opt for medicines to control your cholestrol...

But if things dont work out well with the simple measures that you mentioned I too would suggest you start Statin medications so that your cholestrol can be kept in check...

I hope this answers your question...

Thank you...