Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

what could cause nausea and chest pains, and dry heaves I have

what could cause nausea and chest pains, and dry heaves I have had the acid reflux surgery, they have done the scope and did a dilation and it has helped with the fullness and hard to swallow symptoms but the nausea just won't go away, I have been in the emergency room three times in the last 6 weeks for the dry heaves because they would not stop, blood work all came back normal except for the last time the pancratic emymes were slightly elevated but they said it could have been caused by the dry heaves.
Thanks for your question. This is related to my field of specialty. I would say that your symptoms are strongly indicative of acid-peptic disease and its complications. I will advise further work up for you and specific tests like esophageal-ph manometry, fresh upper GI endoscopy, urea breath test (for H.pylori), abdominal scan. I will also suggest to repeat serum lipase (pancreatic enzyme) in order to compare the levels from the previous one and thats why ultrasonograpy of abdomen is important to see if there is any inflammation in pancrease which can also give such persistent feeling of nausea and dry heaves. I will recommend you to see Gastroenterologist for complete evaluation and further work up in order to find out the cause of your symptoms and then treatment accordingly.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed

Edited by Dr. Amir on 4/16/2010 at 12:28 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is this acid peptic disease? And when the DR did the dilation would he have looked into the stomach as well or do I still need to a anothe scope done to look for other things?
Acid peptic disorders do occur as a result of distinctive, but overlapping pathogenic mechanisms resulting in increase in acid secretion or low mucosal defense system which also includes acid reflux. Yes the doctor should have seen the stomach for sure but most of the times things are mild and easily ignored so in light of your present and persistent symptoms there is a need of again fresh endoscopy to be done along with esophageal-ph manometry test. This will be the gold standard investigation for you and cause can be identified.

Do ACCEPT the answer in order to give respect to my time and work here for you.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed

Edited by Dr. Amir on 4/16/2010 at 12:40 AM EST