Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

A sore on my lip that wont heal. There was a wound there from

A sore on my lip that won't heal. There was a wound there from a bad habit of picking dry skin. When I thpought the wound had healed, I used lip stick wich made it burn. I then used Blistex but it made things worse. Went to the doctor who told me to put vaseline on it. This only made things worse?. What's wrong with my lip and what must I do about it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Is there itching or any other symptoms associated with this?
Are there blister or skin discoloration etc?
Any significant past history regarding allergies ,herpes etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There's no itching.

There is a small wound in the middle of my upper lip that looks like there's a dip or shallow hole under the scab. The skin around the wound is very weak it seems. If I put vaseline or Blistex on it, the weak skin erupts to form a bigger more widespread wound. Then after a few days the loose skin has a better appearance but the small deep wound stays for about a week before soft skin comes off by itself. Then the wound starts again with a scab. My flesh around the small deeper wound has a whitish colour. When I brush my teeth the whole thing softens and my lips look normal until the scab hardens. Then the whitish colour reappears. When the scab comes off by itself, there is nothing that is whitish, But then the scab forms again and I get white discolouration.

Is Herpes a sexually transmitted disease? If that is the case it's impossible that I have herpes. I've never been diagnosed with herpes or an allergy. My lips took a battering with a bad habit that I have now managed to stop. There is no blistering. Two weeks ago the scab came off and it felt like there was a 'weepiness' there that was similar to when a blister bursts. The last time the scab came off my lip didn't feel as raw.

Your help is so much appreciated. I've had this problem since October last year. I went to te doctor becasue although the wound was smaller and more on the surface, the skin on top would moisten and come off by itself every three days. My lip would burn about the day before loosing the scab. Since I used the Vaseline, my lips have gone back to the way they were in December.

Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Are you diabetic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I'm not diabetic.

Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for input.

Such long standing wounds are seen in low immunity states or diabetes. such a long duration is very unlikely without any underlying cause.I think you should be evaluated for low immunity status.And you may consider getting blood sugar level checked if it has not been recently checked.

You can discuss this with your doctor.Mean while you can try antiseptic like neosporin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask if there are any doubts or click the ‘ACCEPT’ so I get credit for my time.

Please take a moment to post a ‘POSITIVE FEEDBACK'.

Thank you. Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Jones

I will follow your advice and I think your decision on low immunity status is quite correct.

My husband died nearly 8 years ago. In the first two years after that I was averaging out a cold about every month. Three weeks ago I caught a bug going round and this week AGAIN I have had a bad cold that was bad to the point that I couldn't go out from Saturday to Wednesday. My friends and family feel that stress at work and the loss through is all part of this. I will check both of what you have suggested.

Many thanks. You can count this note as positive feedback.

Regards,

B.